This course is intended for a wide range audience and in particular, the non-geotechnical engineer. The objective of the course is to discuss the bearing capacity of shall spread footings and illustrate how this value is derived. In this course, you will learn that the allowable bearing capacity of the soil is not only dependent upon the ability of the soil to carry the load, but also upon the magnitude of settlement that the soil might experience due to the load.
The course discusses some common methods of bearing capacity analysis, although it is not an exhaustive review. The course also discusses methods of calculating settlement and presents one example for illustration. When this course has been completed, the student will be familiar with methods used by the geotechnical engineer to assign allowable soil bearing capacity.
The student must take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of fifteen questions at the end of this course to earn PDH credits.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- The definition of a shallow spread footing and their applications
- Types of explorations and how they are used to obtain engineering values of soils, including SPT's, CPT's and test pit excavations
- Modes of soil failure, including general shear failure, local shear failure and punching shear failure
- Calculation of bearing capacity for shallow footings, including modifications for shape factors and groundwater level
- Components of shallow footing settlement, including immediate settlement and consolidation settlement
- Calculation of settlement of footings underlain by sand and clay
- Drainage and calculation of time rate of settlement
- The relative merits of deterministic vs. probabilistic analysis
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.