This 4-hour course is the first in a series of five courses about fiber optic cable systems. The series covers fiber optics from basic light theory transmission to cables, connectors, testing, and signal transmission.
This course, Fiber Optics I –Theory, is an overview of the technology of fiber optic cables including a description of the components, history, and advantages of fiber optic cables. This course also discusses the electromagnetic theory of light and describes the properties of light reflection, refraction, diffusion, and absorption.
The student must take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of twenty-five (25) questions at the end of this course to obtain PDH credits.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Describe fiber optics
- List the parts of a fiber optic data link
- Understand the function of each fiber optic data link part
- Describe the trade-offs in fiber properties and component selection in the design of fiber optic systems
- List the advantages and the disadvantages of fiber optic systems compared to electrical communications systems
- Discuss the electromagnetic theory of light
- Describe the properties of light reflection, refraction, diffusion, and absorption. Explain how optical fibers transmit light
- Identify the basic optical fiber material properties
- Describe the ray and mode theories of light propagation along an optical fiber
- State the difference between multimode and single mode optical fibers
- Explain how optical fibers attenuate and distort light signals
- Understand the processes of light attenuation and dispersion
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.