This 3-hour course is the third in a series of five courses about fiber optic cable systems. The series covers fiber optics from basic light theory transmission to cables, connectors, testing, and signal transmission.
This course, Fiber Optics III - Connectors, describes fiber optic splices, connectors, couplers and the types of connections they form in systems. It includes a discussion on the types of extrinsic and intrinsic coupling losses, fiber alignment and fiber mismatch problems, and fiber optic mechanical and fusion splices.
The student must take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of twenty (20) questions at the end of the course to obtain PDH credits.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Describe a fiber optic splice, connector, and coupler and the types of connections they form in systems
- List the types of extrinsic and intrinsic coupling losses
- Understand the degree to which fiber alignment and fiber mismatch problems increase system loss
- Detail the score-and-break cleaving process for fiber-end preparation
- Identify the types of fiber optic mechanical and fusion splices
- Outline the basic splicing techniques for each type of fiber optic splice
- List the types of fiber optic connectors
- Understand the procedure for installing a fiber optic connector on an optical fiber
- Discuss the types of fiber optic passive couplers
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.