In this introductory course, the student will become familiar with high temperature superconductors, the Meissner effect, the zero resistance effect, availability of experimentation kits, how to make a superconductor from scratch, applications for superconductors, and superconductor patent information. By possibly implementing existing superconductor technology in devices such as electromagnets, the student can increase performance and shrink size versus conventional conductors.
This introductory course is intended for any professional working with electrical, electronic, or magnetic equipment that could possibly benefit from the use of high temperature superconductor technology. It is also intended for the engineer or scientist that has a general interest in superconductor technology and would like to know the basics.
The student must take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of ten questions at the end of this course to obtain PDH credits.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- History of superconductors and the development of high temperature superconductors
- How conductors become superconductors
- Common materials used for superconductors and their properties
- How to construct a simple superconductor using readily available materials
- Magnetic levitation above a superconductor using both the Meissner Effect and the zero resistance effect
- Applications and potential applications for superconductors
- Special provisions for obtaining a patent related to superconductivity materials, manufacture, or applications
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.