Batteries are the backup power source for millions of consumer, business, medical, military, and industrial equipment worldwide. The critical applications such as computers, servers, instruments, telecommunications or life saving equipment require 100% redundancy in every aspect to ensure high degree of reliability and operation. Although the power supply is available from commercial power supply sources, any malfunction and interruption of the utility power can be detrimental to the critical operations of the facility. Consistent and reliable performance of batteries is thus critical to smooth functioning of modern equipment.
In the United States battery replacement is a 17 billion dollar market. Around 75% of these “starting”, “power”, “stand-by”, “industrial”, “marine” and all types of lead-acid batteries have stopped working prematurely, due to inadequate maintenance, while the remaining 25% is due to mechanical failures. The number one cause of reduced lifespan and output capacity is attributed to “over sulfation” caused due to crystallization when a battery cell is under charged and overheat resulting from over charging. Ongoing maintenance of batteries is thus very important.
This 8-hour course provides basic engineering guidance in operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of Lead – acid and Ni-Cad batteries down to individual battery cell level. The course materials are based entirely on the Unified States Department of the Interior, Facilities Instructions, Standards, and Techniques Volume 3-6 “Storage Battery Maintenance and Principles” published by the Unites States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation.
This course is applicable to all electrical, mechanical and facility engineers, energy auditors, operation and maintenance personnel responsible for power provision at your organization.
The reader must take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of forty (40) questions at the end of this course to obtain PDH credits.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Principles and characteristics of Lead-acid, VRLA and Ni-Cad batteries
- Importance of float charge, initial charge and equalizing charge
- Affect of undercharging and over discharge of batteries
- Importance of voltage and specific gravity readings at appropriate temperature correction
- Sedimentation, water replacement rate and constant voltage charging
- Battery life for different types and services
- Internal shorts, connection resistance
- Causes and elimination of over sulfation
- Acceptance testing and inspection guidelines
- Capacity tests to determine replacement
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.