This course discusses the advantages and suitability of designing stormwater using four low impact development (LID) technologies including infiltration basins, infiltration trenches, bioretention areas, and porous pavement/recharge beds. Extensive discussion of site constraints, including soil infiltration capacity, are examined for use in determining if infiltration systems are feasible for a site. Design guidelines, cost information, construction issues, maintenance requirements, and performance studies are presented for each type of system to enable the engineer to evaluate the suitability for these systems for a project.
This course is relevant for consulting and municipal engineers involved in the planning, design, and/or review of projects where stormwater infiltration practices can be considered.
The student must take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of fifteen (15) questions at the end of the course to obtain 3 PDH credits.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- General guidelines and testing methods to determine soil infiltration rate
- Typical infiltration rates for different soil types
- Guidelines for site evaluation to determine if infiltration is feasible
- Advantages/disadvantages for infiltration-based stormwater methods
- Design guidelines for infiltration basins, infiltration trenches, bioretention areas, and porous pavement/recharge systems
- Design procedures for infiltration basins and trenches
- Pavement section and mix design recommendations for porous pavement
- Cost information for comparison to traditional stormwater systems
- Construction and maintenance requirements for each system
- Discussion of performance studies to evaluate effectiveness of each system
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.