Federal Law, 40 CFR 112 requires that all owners of aboveground storage tanks in oil service must prepare and implement a Spill Prevention, Containment and Countermeasures (SPCC) plan by November 10, 2011. Under many common circumstances, SPCC plans must be prepared under the supervision of a registered professional engineer. Course authors Joey Barnes, P.E. and John G. Dzwonczyk, P.E., C.F.P.S. have prepared over 200 SPCC plans themselves, and have developed a simple model for producing them using an online system that captures site specific data and formats it into a user-friendly, compliant product.
This course gives a thorough treatment of the requirements of SPCC plans, provides resource material and instructions on how owners and engineers can use the online system to simplify plan preparation while meeting the complex requirements established by the EPA’s rules.
To receive PDH credit, the student must take a multiple choice quiz of forty (40) questions.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- What the Spill Prevention regulations of 40-CFR-112 entail, and how to interpret them
- What the components of an SPCC plan are
- How the EPA expects SPCC plans to be presented
- What is involved in an SPCC field survey
- What are the obligations of owners with respect to SPCC Plans
- How and why Professional Engineers are essential for compliance in many cases, and what disadvantages exist for owners who fall into a window allowing self-certification
- What to expect in terms of EPA oversight
- What the business implications of adding SPCC Plans to an engineering offer can be
- How recent technological capabilities allow engineers to immediately shorten the learning curve and get into this business line quickly and competitively even as land development-based lines are in decline
- What forms and checklists can be used to make an SPCC plan an even greater value to owners
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.