The intent of this course is to help engineers develop an awareness of the conservatism utilized in the daily practice of engineering and how to harness its use for the development of safe, economical and practical designs. This course will provide guidance on “identifying conservatism in design”, “how to recognize sources of conservatism” and “how to use conservatism as an advantage”. The application of this information is not limited to one industry or a particular discipline. This guidance can be applied from any angle and at any stage of engineering design; not just during the calculation step. This course is written with the engineer in mind that has to make decisions and provide input throughout all phases of the engineering design process.
To receive PDH credit for the course you must pass a multiple choice quiz consisting of fifteen (15) questions.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Different levels and sources of conservatism in engineering design
- When it is beneficial to be conservative above and beyond base line conservatism and when it can be less favorable
- When built-in conservatism can be favorable
- Utilizing conservatism to provide the best design possible based on safety, cost, constructability and productivity
- Understanding the connection between engineering fundamentals, code knowledge, and experience
- Determining when it may be acceptable to cut into the conservatism of a design
- Where the conservatism should be included when designing
- When codes, specifications, and industry standards may be too conservative for the design application at hand
- Being conservative while “Enveloping” and “Bounding”
- What happens to a conservative design from the engineer’s desk to the field and does the same level of conservatism translate to implementation of a design
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.