Psychrometry is the study of moist air. It is significant in terms of thermal comfort and is a major consideration in the design of air conditioning systems. Air conditioning engineers use the psychrometric chart to predict changes in the environment when the amount of heat and/or water in the air changes.
A psychrometric chart provides a convenient way to look at the air conditioning processes and it will answer why heated air can hold more moisture, and conversely, how allowing moist air to cool will result in condensation.
This 6-hr course gives an overview of psychrometrics and suggests how a better understanding of psychrometrics will improve air conditioning design and selection of equipment.
The student must take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of thirty (30) questions at the end of this course to obtain PDH credits.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Understand the basic terminology and definitions related to air properties
- Learn how to read the psychrometric chart
- Learn the relationship of seven (7) different air properties: DBT, WBT, RH, dew point, absolute humidity, enthalpy and specific volume
- Apply the psychrometric charts on air-conditioning applications
- Understand how the various properties of air are measured
- Understand various psychrometric processes - sensible heating and cooling, cooling and dehumidification, evaporative cooling, heating and humidification and air mixing
- Understand the air conditioning processes for four (4) extreme climatic conditions (Miami, Phoenix, Minneapolis and Seattle)
- Understand the difference between sensible heat and latent heat
- Understand the terms “sensible heat factor”, “room sensible heat factor” and “grand sensible heat factor”
- Understand how to calculate the required volume air flow rate
- Understand how to compute the cooling coil capacity
- Understand standard equations used in air conditioning
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.