Oil & Gas (O & G) facilities are fraught with numerous challenges related to health and safety, logistics, economics, quality assurance and overall performance. HVAC design for such facilities needs special considerations not only to minimize the potential loss to capital investment but also to isolate the personnel from life-threatening environment.
The main objectives of HVAC systems in O & G facilities include:
- Maintain acceptable working and living environment for personnel and non - destructive conditions for equipment
- Prevent ingress of potentially explosive / toxic gas-air mixtures into non-hazardous areas, electrical switch rooms and equipment rooms
- Prevent formation of any combustible mixture and maintain an atmosphere where the gas/air mixture is kept below LEL during normal operation
- Provide dilution ventilation for all enclosed hazardous areas in order to reduce the risk from build-up of potentially explosive / toxic gases within these spaces
- Prevent smoke spreading and keep enclosed escape ways free of smoke in case of fire
This 4-hour course will help explain the complexities of HVAC design for offshore installations and how to go about carrying out the selection of a proper system and related equipment.
The reader must take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of twenty (20) questions at the end of this course to obtain PDH credits.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- The critical design issues related to oil & gas facilities
- How an offshore installation differs from an onshore installation
- The concept of area classification for hazardous locations
- The importance of pressure differential between hazardous and non-hazardous areas
- The critical system parameters that must be controlled and monitored
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.