This course will introduce you to basic principles and terminology for noise control engineering in buildings. You will learn about Noise Criteria (NC) and Room Criteria (RC) curves and how they are used in acoustical engineering projects. Speech Interference Levels (SIL), Sound Pressure Levels (SPL) and Room Constants are also introduced, and you will see how the principles of sound Transmission Loss (TL), Noise Reduction (NR) and Sound Transmission Class (STC) are used in project design. The information you will get from this course will allow you to apply basic acoustical engineering principles to a variety of projects, and will give you the background you need to advance to more sophisticated analyses on more demanding acoustical challenges such as those associated with design of concert halls and recording studios.
To earn PDH credits for this course, the student must pass a multiple choice quiz of fifteen (15) questions.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- How noise associated with buildings is defined in terms of Noise Criteria and Room Criteria
- Designing to mitigate speech interference in the acoustic environment
- How sound pressure level (SPL) varies with distance and absorption
- Basic principles underlying estimation and use of Room Constants
- How the principles of sound Transmission Loss (TL), Noise Reduction (NR) and Sound Transmission Class (STC) of building materials are applied to real projects
- STC values for many common building materials
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.