Course Number: SEM-014
Length of Course: 8 hours
Seminar Location: This seminar is available for on-site training
In Principles of Steel Design, you’ll learn …
- The main properties of steel as a construction material
- How to calculate the loads on structures
- Basic and simplified design methods for structural members
- The main difference between the ASD and LRFD methods
- The latest changes in the design code based on the AISC 14th edition
In this seminar, you’ll learn how to design basic steel members. Additionally, you’ll learn about the properties of steel and why it is used so extensively as a structural material.
The seminar covers the fundamentals of steel design, including tension members, compression members, base plates and beams. You’ll learn the basic formulae used by the AISC design code for the analysis and design of basic steel members. You’ll learn the similarities and differences between the two design methods: ASD and LRFD – updated to the AISC 14th edition.
This seminar provides an excellent introduction to the fundamentals of steel design for engineers of all disciplines, as well as Construction Project Managers, Contractors, and Quality Control Managers. The concepts are introduced at a basic level; therefore, little or no prior steel design knowledge is required.
The main benefit of this seminar for civil, electrical, mechanical, environmental, chemical and industrial engineers, as well as managers and quality control personnel, is that you will gain an understanding of the factors that affect steel design decisions… which will allow you to more effectively understand and interface with the structural engineers on your projects.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Steel as a building material
- Effect of carbon on the final product of steel
- Loads and load combinations
- Basics in the analysis of tension members
- Introduction to the design of tension and compression members
- Design of column base plates for axial loading
- Introduction to the design of steel beams for moment loads
Speak to a Representative to Schedule a Seminar
For more information contact:
Ken Hudspeth, General Manager
Phone 1-877-PDHengineer (1-877-734-3644)