Microgrid Basics, Opportunities, Configuration & Challenges
In Determining Negligence in Engineering Failures, you'll learn ...
- What are microgrids and what types of communities use them
- How microgrids are configured
- Common microgrid power generation and energy storage methods
Microgrids became the main topic of discussion after superstorm Sandy and is in the spotlight again due to the weather events that occurred in 2017 in Florida, Texas, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
This course will discuss impact of weather events, typical utility systems, common reasons for distribution-related disturbances for overhead and underground systems, critical components of the microgrids, the two main microgrid setups, various markets, issues related to microgrid setup that will supply remote buildings and other regulatory info.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- The reasons why utility supplies become unavailable
- Attributes and liabilities of overhead (OH) vs underground (UG) systems
- How weather affects OH and UG systems
- Why melting snow can cause corrosion of UG cables
- Lessons learned from superstorm Sandy
- Microgrid energy management methods
- Issues related to microgrid setup that will supply remote buildings
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 10 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
|This course is applicable to professional engineers in:|
|Alabama (P.E.)||Alaska (P.E.)||Arkansas (P.E.)|
|Delaware (P.E.)||Florida (P.E. Area of Practice)||Georgia (P.E.)|
|Idaho (P.E.)||Illinois (P.E.)||Illinois (S.E.)|
|Indiana (P.E.)||Iowa (P.E.)||Kansas (P.E.)|
|Kentucky (P.E.)||Louisiana (P.E.)||Maine (P.E.)|
|Maryland (P.E.)||Michigan (P.E.)||Minnesota (P.E.)|
|Mississippi (P.E.)||Missouri (P.E.)||Montana (P.E.)|
|Nebraska (P.E.)||Nevada (P.E.)||New Hampshire (P.E.)|
|New Jersey (P.E.)||New Mexico (P.E.)||New York (P.E.)|
|North Carolina (P.E.)||North Dakota (P.E.)||Ohio (P.E. Self-Paced)|
|Oklahoma (P.E.)||Oregon (P.E.)||Pennsylvania (P.E.)|
|South Carolina (P.E.)||South Dakota (P.E.)||Tennessee (P.E.)|
|Texas (P.E.)||Utah (P.E.)||Vermont (P.E.)|
|Virginia (P.E.)||West Virginia (P.E.)||Wisconsin (P.E.)|