This course has been developed to provide a brief overview of the function and interrelationship of the petroleum refinery fuels processes most commonly found in modern petroleum refineries. These processes refine petroleum crude oils into the literally hundreds of specification petroleum products, many of which we use on a daily basis. Refinery fuels processes fall into several broad categories: Fractionation (distillation), Treating and Upgrading. This course is applicable to all engineering disciplines. Upon successful completion of this course, the student will have achieved a basic understanding of what occurs inside a modern petroleum refinery. Furthermore, the student will learn how the most common refinery fuels processes accomplish the refining of crude oils into the fuels specification products that the markets demand.
The student must take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of fifteen (15) questions at the end of the course to obtain PDH credits.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Quantities and sizes of U.S. refineries and the relevance of economies of scale and location on refinery operations
- Crude oil assays, naming and grouping conventions, viscosities and characterization by boiling point
- Crude oil treating processes, including hydrotreating and amine contacting
- Fractionation processes, including crude oil distillation and light ends fractionation
- Crude oil upgrading processes, including catalytic reforming, fluidized catalytic cracking, hydrocracking, alkylation, and coking
- Refinery ancillary processes, including hydrogen production and sulfur conversion
- Product blending to meet product specifications
Click on the following link to the PDF document to review the course material before taking the quiz for credit.
Having trouble downloading the PDF file?
If clicking the link does not bring you to the PDF file, then right-click the link. Click "Save Target As" and save on your desktop. To view the file, double-click the icon on your desktop and return to this page to take the quiz. You may want to bookmark this page for your convenience. If you have questions, Live Support Chat can help.
To receive PDH credit for this course, you must pass a multiple-choice quiz. Click the button below to Purchase Course and Take Quiz. To take the quiz, your computer must be set to accept cookies. See how to check your cookie settings.