How Ambient Conditions Impact the Rating of Electrical Equipment
In How Ambient Conditions Impact the Rating of Electrical Equipment, you'll learn ...
- How altitude, temperature and humidity affect electrical equipment ratings
- The types of electrical equipment that are impacted by ambient conditions
- How to calculate derating factors for transformers, motors, VFDs, generators and other equipment
Electrical equipment which relies on air cooling is affected by the altitude, air temperature and humidity. This course provides the methodology for developing an estimate of rating factors for electrical equipment at various ambient conditions.
This course is not intended to replace or modify manufacturer's ratings or recommendations. Rather, the course provides guidance on estimating electrical equipment sizes for project cost and space requirements.
The course includes a spreadsheet that can be used to quickly estimate altitude rating factors for various types of electrical equipment.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Why density plays a key role in the ability of air to remove heat
- How humidity affects the rating of electrical equipment
- How ambient conditions affect semiconductor cooling efficiency
- Altitude rating factor “rules of thumb” for variable frequency drives
- How ambient conditions impact the rating of transformers, motors and circuit breakers
- Altitude correction factors for vertical clearance of high voltage transmission lines
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 10 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
|This course is applicable to professional engineers in:|
|Alabama (P.E.)||Alaska (P.E.)||Arkansas (P.E.)|
|Delaware (P.E.)||Florida (P.E. Area of Practice)||Georgia (P.E.)|
|Idaho (P.E.)||Illinois (P.E.)||Illinois (S.E.)|
|Indiana (P.E.)||Iowa (P.E.)||Kansas (P.E.)|
|Kentucky (P.E.)||Louisiana (P.E.)||Maine (P.E.)|
|Maryland (P.E.)||Michigan (P.E.)||Minnesota (P.E.)|
|Mississippi (P.E.)||Missouri (P.E.)||Montana (P.E.)|
|Nebraska (P.E.)||Nevada (P.E.)||New Hampshire (P.E.)|
|New Jersey (P.E.)||New Mexico (P.E.)||New York (P.E.)|
|North Carolina (P.E.)||North Dakota (P.E.)||Ohio (P.E. Self-Paced)|
|Oklahoma (P.E.)||Oregon (P.E.)||Pennsylvania (P.E.)|
|South Carolina (P.E.)||South Dakota (P.E.)||Tennessee (P.E.)|
|Texas (P.E.)||Utah (P.E.)||Vermont (P.E.)|
|Virginia (P.E.)||West Virginia (P.E.)||Wisconsin (P.E.)|