Application of Synchrophasors
In Application of Synchrophasors, you'll learn ...
- Five mandatory real-time tools recommended by NERC for reliability coordinators and transmission operators
- Key elements of synchrophasor technology, including hardware and software, technical standards and security considerations
- Various ways that synchrophasor data and applications can be used to support grid reliability
This 3-hour course reviews the many ways that synchrophasor technology can be used to support real time and off-line activities to enhance the reliable operations of the bulk power system. It can help deliver better real-time tools that enhance system operators’ situational awareness.
A synchrophasor system -- with wide deployment of phasor measurement units and dedicated high-speed communications to collect and deliver synchronized high-speed grid condition data, along with analytics and other advanced on-line dynamic security assessment and control applications -- will improve real-time situational awareness and decision support tools to enhance system reliability.
Synchrophasor measurements can also be used to improve component and system models for both on-line and off-line network analysis to assess system security and adequacy to withstand expected contingencies.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- The real-time data needs of electric system operators
- The real time tools used by system operators
- The use of synchrophasors
- How phasor data is used in system operations
- The components of a synchrophasor system
- The purpose of PMU’s
- The network architecture of synchrophasors
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 20 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
|This course is applicable to professional engineers in:|
|Alabama (P.E.)||Alaska (P.E.)||Arkansas (P.E.)|
|Delaware (P.E.)||Florida (P.E. Area of Practice)||Georgia (P.E.)|
|Idaho (P.E.)||Illinois (P.E.)||Illinois (S.E.)|
|Indiana (P.E.)||Iowa (P.E.)||Kansas (P.E.)|
|Kentucky (P.E.)||Louisiana (P.E.)||Maine (P.E.)|
|Maryland (P.E.)||Michigan (P.E.)||Minnesota (P.E.)|
|Mississippi (P.E.)||Missouri (P.E.)||Montana (P.E.)|
|Nebraska (P.E.)||Nevada (P.E.)||New Hampshire (P.E.)|
|New Jersey (P.E.)||New Mexico (P.E.)||New York (P.E.)|
|North Carolina (P.E.)||North Dakota (P.E.)||Ohio (P.E. Self-Paced)|
|Oklahoma (P.E.)||Oregon (P.E.)||Pennsylvania (P.E.)|
|South Carolina (P.E.)||South Dakota (P.E.)||Tennessee (P.E.)|
|Texas (P.E.)||Utah (P.E.)||Vermont (P.E.)|
|Virginia (P.E.)||West Virginia (P.E.)||Wisconsin (P.E.)|